Friday, October 12, 2012

What to Feed Your Paleo Pup

So you just got  a new puppy and whether you have had a dog or not your wondering which puppy food to get and why. I had three dogs throughout my childhood and two of them died of health issues, one is still alive and kicking but has some issues of his own. 
 
My New Baby Ace!
Here is my back story: Sandy my baby girl passed away after we had a large tumor removed from her belly, she made it through surgery ok but had a hard time recovering and we lost a few days later. Butch died of diabetes and regardless of IV and insulin he passed away as well. Butch also had many fatty tumors and we removed a few and shortly after he had an episode of  seizures within 24 hours, 11 to be exact. Butch was a tank nothing could stop him he lived to be about 11. Throughout his life he took down many boxes of valentines candy, Christmas candy, the little chocolate nips with alcohol inside, half a sheet cake, and or course a decadent gourmet chocolate cake with Chambord and raspberry sauce. I know what your thinking dogs aren’t supposed to have chocolate, I know this but Butch was a scavenger and nothing was given to him, lets just say he knew how to sneak a taste or polish off a whole box while no one was looking. Rudy is still alive and well but he has many fatty tumors as well. Some dogs are prone to getting these, but some also say it can be from the kinds of foods they eat. 
 
 
Ace is my newest baby and my first dog as an adult. I care for him with my boyfriend Mike, he is our little baby. We decided to feed him similar to how we eat so I call him my Paleo Pup! We follow a grain free diet and so does he. I figure if we had kids they would adopt the same lifestyle. When choosing Ace’s food I did my research and hoped for the best, some dogs I know can be picky eaters, Not Ace, We weaned him off the Hill Science Diet that they gave him at the shelter and onto Orijen Puppy food. I simply googled Grain Free Food and found this one. It sounded good and was in a good price range. Ace was on full Orijen food in just a few weeks and he loves it.  We stay away from traditional dog treats like Milk Bone and Snasauges and instead we buy treats make with Sweet Potato, Beef and Chicken. Our pet store carries a wide variety of grain free treats and Ace loves them all… He also enjoys a good bully stick or the occasional rawhide.
If your thinking or wondering about what to feed your dog just hop online and do your research. Most dog foods you find in Supermarkets and big name Pet Stores like Petco and Pet Smart carry brands like Pedigree, Purina, Hill Science Diet and they have a lot of by products and grains. So when choosing the best one look at the label and try and decide what sounds good to you. You can also purchase trial size portions of a lot of dog foods brands. IF they don’t have trial sizes, buy the smallest bag as a test if your pooch turns his nose up call a local shelter and see if they will take the food. Most places will take anything and love the extra help!! Just remember its important what you feed your pet and if you have any questions ask me or just google it.
Take care and stay tuned for more tips on keeping your pooch Paleo Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment